An Online Herb Farming and Medicine Making Program
Class starts November 2, 2020.
Rolling registration! Register anytime during the course. You will have access to all videos and content!
Join Herbalist Mary Blue for this 5-month online program focusing on:
- Growing, harvesting, and making herbal medicine in pots, small gardens, or large fields with over 30 types of medicinal herbs. Mary will take you through the growing season on her herb farm in West Greenwich, Rhode Island. Follow along with your own harvests and independent herbal projects.
- Farming practices– Seed starting, compost tea, soil amendments, planting with the phases of the moon and soil health
- Harvesting, drying, processing and preserving herbs
- Medicine making- Tinctures, Teas, Salves, and Syrups- specific plant extraction methods.
- Taking your product to market. Rule and regulations for selling herbal products.
- This program is complementary to the Herbal Foundations Online (HFO) Program, and can be taken concurrently OR before/ after the HFO program.
- HFO covers general concepts of medicine making and solvency and herbal actions.
- Seeds to Solvency program covers medicine making concepts/ solvency of specific plants & growing harvesting, and processing herbs.
- All lessons are completed online through videos, notes, and questionnaires released monthly.
- Course discussions, comments, and online questions are posted throughout the month by Mary and students.
- The course content is about 2- 3 hours per month.
- Videos are released 1x per month.
MONTH 1 Videos- Released May 25
- Introduction to Western Herbalism- solvency
- Seed starting
- Soil health- compost, soil amendments, compost tea
- Wildcrafting Spring Plants- Nettle, Violet, Chickweed, Dandelion
- Working with vinegar, oxymels, and succus
- Spring roots harvest- Dandelion, Marshmallow, Valerian
- Cover crops or tea? Oatstraw, Alfalfa, and Red Clover
MONTH 2 Videos- Released June 29
- Drying methods- from closets to cars- at-home techniques for drying your herbs.
- Harvesting tools and techniques
- Planting techniques
- Mulching and weeding
- Roses Roses Roses- Extracting with glycerine
- Easy and versatile herbs to grow- Lemon Balm, Catnip, Valerian and St. Johns Wort
- Infused oils
MONTH 3 Videos- Released July 27
- Making herbal tinctures
- Easy and versatile herbs to grow- Calendula, Tulsi, Bee Balm, Mugwort
- Woodland plants and trees
- Making and blending herbal teas- water-based extractions
- Processing herbs- from stems to sticks
- Sacred smoke- preparing and harvesting for making smoke wands (aka by first nations “smudge sticks”)
MONTH 4 Videos- Released August 24
- Elderberry Harvest!
- Making Herbal Syrups
- Extracting with honey
- Making Herbal Wines and Ferments
- Easy and versatile herbs to grow- Anise Hyssop, Yarrow, Blue Vervain and Feverfew
MONTH 5 Videos- Released September 21, 2020
- Preparing for fall and winter on the farm
- Salve making
- Fire Cider and Vinegar Extracts
- Herbal first aid- top 5 herbal first aid herbs to have on hand.
- The Many Paths of an Herbalist- Bringing your product to market- Regulations and rules for selling herbal products
PRICE- Sliding Scale- $100-$500
- This is an honor system. We do not need to see tax returns
- Place yourself in the category that best represents your household income (if you are married or partnered, this is the entire household income).
- If you are a college student supported by your parents, you would go by their household income.
- If you would like to sponsor a student who cannot afford this class click this option when registering (as well as your own registration).
Annual Household Price
$30,000 and over $500
$20,000 -$30,000 $400
$10,000 and under $100
DONATION/ PAY IT FORWARD $500
Mary has been farming and growing herbs since 2000. She has 20 years of experience in organic farming, making & selling herbal medicine.